How do I appeal my current assessment?

The property tax is used as a revenue source by county government, 14 school districts and most of the 73 municipalities in Chester County. It is the responsibility of the County Assessment Office to place a value on each parcel of land and any improvements (structures) thereon. Assessments are derived by assessors who are state certified under Pennsylvania law. After an assessment is generated or changed the property owner is mailed a "Change In Assessment" notice. All property owners have the right to appeal if they do not agree with the assessment of their property. If an appeal is initiated by a school district or municipality, the attorney must provide the Board of Assessment with a copy of a Certificate of Service verifying that the property owner was notified of the appeal within five days of the appeal filing. 

Show All Answers

1. What is millage?
2. How are millage rates determined?
3. How do I calculate my approximate property tax based on the posted millage rates?
4. What is an assessment?
5. What is an Interim Assessment?
6. When is an interim assessment effective?
7. How are interim assessments reported?
8. What's the significance of property assessment?
9. What is the market value?
10. What causes market values to change?
11. How do I, as the property owner, appeal an assessment and/or the effective date?
12. How do I appeal my current assessment?
13. How do I change my Tax Billing Address?
14. How can I obtain Assessment data reports or electronic files?
15. Is an appeal processing fee required?
16. How do I obtain an appeal form?
17. What are the different types of hearings?
18. Where are the appeals held?
19. Who hears the appeals?
20. How will I be advised of my hearing date?
21. What is the appeal hearing procedure? CLR?
22. What if I do not agree with the board decision?