Do I have to attend the Mediation Orientation session?

Yes, Mediation Orientation is mandatory. It takes about 30 minutes and is scheduled on a date mutually convenient to the parties. If you do not attend mediation orientation, there may be serious consequences for you or your case. The only exception to this rule is if you or the child has been abused by the other party within the past 24 months. If that is true, you should notify the mediator of this fact and the mediator will decide whether or not to hold the mediation session.

Show All Answers

1. Do I have to attend the Mediation Orientation session?
2. Who else must attend the Mediation Orientation?
3. Am I required to continue with mediation after the orientation session?
4. What is a custody mediator?
5. What happens at mediation?
6. Can we have additional mediation sessions?
7. Can the mediator provide legal advice?
8. Can we reach an agreement at the mediation?
9. If we sign an agreement at mediation, do I still have to go to the Custody Conciliation Conference?
10. If we don’t sign an agreement at mediation, can we still agree before the Custody Conference?
11. If we want more time to mediate to reach an agreement, can we push back the date of the Custody Conference?
12. If we don’t sign an agreement, do I have to attend the Custody Conference?
13. Should I look into obtaining a lawyer for my custody case?
14. How do I find a custody lawyer?
15. Will I have to attend a Parenting Class?
16. Can I change the date for Parenting Class?
17. Where and when is Parenting Class held?
18. Should I bring my child(ren) to Parenting Class?
19. Will I have to attend a Conciliation Conference?
20. What happens at Conciliation Conference?
21. Will my child or children be permitted to attend the Conciliation Conference?
22. What is the difference between mediation and the Conciliation Conference?
23. If I am not satisfied by the outcome at the Conciliation Conference, can I get a trial in front of a Judge?
24. Can a Custody Order be modified?
25. Can I just write a letter to the Judge asking for a change in custody?