What if my child needs mental health help?

Families are referred to the Crime Victims’ Center (CVC) for initial services. The CVC offers individual and group counseling for victims of crime at no cost. The CVC also provides off-site counseling in Oxford, Phoenixville, Kennett Square, Coatesville, and several schools in the community.

Another available resource is the Chester County Mental Health/Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities Department, which oversees publicly funded mental health services for children and adults, including those on medical assistance and without insurance. In Pennsylvania, any child with a disability qualifies for medical assistance regardless of parental income. 

Show All Answers

1. What is the Children’s Advocacy Center?
2. What is child abuse?
3. Who is a mandated reporter and what is their responsibility?
4. What should I do if a student tells me they are being abused?
5. What is Childline?
6. What is CYF?
7. What is the Crime Victims’ Center (CVC)?
8. What is a forensic interviewer?
9. How is a forensic interview conducted?
10. What is the multidisciplinary team (MDT)?
11. Will my child see their abuser at the Justice Center or in the CAC?
12. What if my child needs mental health help?
13. If my child was abused, how soon should he/she see a doctor?
14. What kind of medical examination will my child need if he/she was sexually abused?
15. How will the criminal justice system handle my child’s abuser?