About The Department
Welcome to the Chester County Clerk of Courts Office. All criminal court filings and records are maintained by the Clerk of Courts. This office handles approximately 5,000 – 6,000 criminal cases each year.
The Clerk of Courts manages all paperwork for all criminal cases in the Chester County Court of Common Pleas. The Clerk’s office also assesses fines, costs and restitution and collects the fees in conjunction with Chester County Probation, Parole and Pretrial Services. The Clerk of Courts additionally staffs all criminal, juvenile and dependency hearings held in the Chester County Court of Common Pleas to ensure that the paperwork is completed with efficiency and accuracy. The Clerk of Courts is prohibited from providing legal advice.
All records are open to the public, with the exception of juvenile and dependency cases, and certain filings placed under “seal” and/or are filed confidentially. Records and filings maintained by the Clerk of Courts include but are not limited to:
- Summary Appeals
- Miscellaneous Petitions (Constable, Bail Bonds, etc.)
- Maintain custody of all court records
- Support and attend each court session
- Provide a repository for all trial exhibits
- Collect & disburse fines, costs, and fees
- Collect fees on summary appeal cases
- Provide open access to public court records
- Prepare motor vehicle forms for PennDOT
- Filing of road dockets
- Report statistical & financial data
- Docket all criminal records filed
- Maintain constable bonds
- Private detective licensing
- Administer oaths
- Assemble juries
- Accept posting of bail
For all civil court matters and filings, including name changes, civil appeals, family and divorce
hearings, passport application, etc, please visit the Prothonotary's Office.
To find out which PA court your case should be in, and for information on the PA court system, visit the Judicial System of PA website