- District Courts
- Constable Information
The office of Pennsylvania State Constable (Constable) is held as a municipally elected, sworn Peace Officer throughout the state of Pennsylvania. Constables are independently elected and not employees of the county or court system.
Constables are governed by state law (Title44 Pa.C.S.A71) and elected in each borough, township, and city ward within the state, and serve six-year terms. Constables may be appointed by the Court of Common Pleas of the county, to serve out a term when an elected Constable position becomes vacant.
Constables serve two main functions:
- Preserve the peace specifically at voting polls during primary and general elections, and
- Perform judicial duties to serve writs, warrants, complaints, subpoenas, service of summons, orders of eviction and judgment, and provide security at Magisterial District Court facilities.
Constables must meet all registration requirements and, complete basic training administered by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, and receive certification before performing any judicial duties. Constables must complete a Continuing Education course each year to maintain their certification.
Constables may petition the Court of Common Pleas to appoint a Deputy Constable. To request a Deputy Constable, the Constable must show a justifiable need.
- Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) website
- Search Constables by Name and/or County
November 2021 election starts a new 6-year term for Constables beginning January, 2022.
Please see below information and petition documents required to be contracted with the Chester County Magisterial District Courts
General Constable-Deputy Constable Information
- Constable Handbook
- Constable - Deputy Constable File Checklist
- Required Clearances Notice
- Constable - Deputy Constable Review Board Complaint Form
Constable Petition/Appointment Packet
- Constable-Deputy Constable Petition Procedure
- Constable Petition Form
- Constable-Deputy Constable Petition Signature Sheet
- Constable Bond Form
- Constable Oath of Office
- Constable-Deputy Constable Information Sheet
- Direct Deposit Instructions
- Direct Deposit Form
- W-9 Form