The Marriage license office is open for extended hours until 6:00pm on Wednesdays for in-person appointments. The extended hours are ONLY for applying for a marriage license and you MUST have an appointment. All applicants with appointments at 4:30pm or after must pay with a credit card. No cash payments will be accepted. Any couples with appointments at 4:00pm or later who require an interpreter MUST bring an interpreter with them. The interpreter must be 18 years or older and have photo identification.
- Policies of the Marriage License Department
- Marriage License Application Requirements \ Requisitos para la licencia de matriomonio
- Emergency Waiver of the 3-Day Waiting Period
- Officiant of the Marriage
- Non-English Speaking Applicants
- Self-Uniting Marriage Licenses
- Public Record and Publishing of Information
- Certified Marriage Records
- Exemplifications of Marriage Records
- Apostilles for Marriage Records
- Applications are taken by appointment only on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 8:30am-4:00pm and Wednesday 8:30 am until 6:00 pm. Schedule an appointment by using the button above, or call 610-344-6395.
- Blood tests are not required.
- The fee is $75 payable by cash or credit card. There is a $1.69 processing fee for using credit cards. Checks and money orders are not accepted. This fee cannot be waived. If for any reason the marriage does not take place, there is no refund. During extended hours on Wednesdays ONLY credit cards will be accepted.
- BOTH applicants must appear together in the office at their scheduled date and time to apply for the license. The ONLY exception may apply to an applicant who is in Active Military Service. For more information please call the office at 610-344-6395.
- There is a three-day waiting period before the license is valid so application must be made at least three days but, not more than 60 days before the marriage date.
- License is valid for 60 days starting from and including the issue date that appears on the License. If not used within the 60 day period, the application process must be repeated in its entirety to obtain a subsequent license. This includes the payment of the license fee.
- License can be used in any county in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. An out-of state marriage license cannot be used in Pennsylvania nor can a Pennsylvania marriage license be used out-of-state.
- A Social Security Number is required by state law if the applicant has one. It is not necessary to present the social security card as the number is confidential and not public record. If either applicant refuses to give their social security number, the application will be denied.
- Applicants must provide identification that shows their current legal name and date of birth. Photo ID is required. We reserve the right to require any further identification as deemed necessary.
- If either applicant was previously married, the date of the most recent divorce, legal annulment, or death of previous spouse must be provided. If the divorce or legal annulment was final within six months of the application date, a certified copy of the final decree must be presented.
- Age Requirements - Both applicants MUST be at least 18 years or older.
Requisitos para la licencia de matriomonio
Marriage License DepartmentChester County Justice Center201 W. Market Street, Suite 2200PO Box 2746West Chester, PA 19380-0989
To receive a copy of the approved waiver, enclude a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Return to top
Officiant of the Marriage
Pennsylvania has no provision for the registration of officiants to perform marriages. Selection of, and arrangements for, an officiant to perform the marriage ceremony are the responsibility of the applicants. Below are a list of judges that performs marriages in Chester County.
- Magisterial District Judges - contact your local jurisdiction.
Non-English Speaking Applicants
Public Record and Publishing of Information
Certified Marriage RecordsA form for requesting certified marriage records is available in the Forms and Documents section. Walk-in requests are processed immediately. Please allow 7-10 working days for processing of mail-in requests. All requests require the following information:
Marriage License Department
Chester County Justice Center
201 W. Market Street, Suite 2200
West Chester, PA 19380-0989
Return to top
An Exemplification is an authentication of the record by a Judge of the Orphans’ Court and the Elected Clerk of the Orphans’ Court.
An Exemplification contains the complete Marriage Application which has all the information provided when the application was made, e.g. applicants place and date of birth, parent information, etc. Official Seals and signatures are on the document.The fee for the Exemplification is $40 payable by cash, credit card or money order only. Do NOT mail cash. A form for requesting an Exemplification is available in the Forms and Documents section or contact the Office of the Clerk of the Orphans’ Court, in person or by calling at 610-344-6335. The process may take 7 to 10 days.
Return to top
If the marriage record is for a foreign country you may need to obtain an Apostille issued by the Pennsylvania Department of State.
An Apostille is used by foreign governments to assess the authenticity of an official signature. It is recognized only by countries that have signed the Convention of the Hague of 1961. For those countries that are not signatories, the Department of State attaches a certification. When the Department of State certifies a document with an Apostille, the department verifies that the person who signed the document is a Pennsylvania official and the department has given “full faith and credit” to the official’s seal and signature. The Apostille is prepared by the Pennsylvania Department of State for documents signed and sealed by the County Elected Officials.