Act 2020-15 Unsworn Declarations for Campaign Finance
Act 2020-15, which was signed into law on April 20, 2020, allows for unsworn declarations for campaign finance reports and campaign finance statements filed by political committees, candidates for public office, and contributing lobbyists. Independent expenditure reports are also covered under the new law
Campaign Finance Reporting
Campaign finance reporting is a very important part of running for or holding an elected office. On this page, you will find some of the forms most utilized during the campaign finance cycles, and some other helpful information. Please be sure to read over it carefully. Mandated fines may incur if campaign finance obligations are not met on time. We encourage both candidates and representatives of campaign committees to contact our office at any time with questions, or to check your specific obligations.
In general, campaign finance reports/statements must be filed by all candidates for public office (except for Poll Worker Positions) setting forth information regarding contributions received and expenditures made for the purpose of influencing the outcome of an election.
Candidates who do not intend to have financial activity related to their seeking office over $250 should fill out the “Waiver of Expense Account Reporting Affidavit” found on the back of their Nominating Petitions (also below). Submitting this form is highly recommended if you are unsure of your spending plans.
A candidate may also authorize a committee to accept contributions and make expenditures on the candidate’s behalf. The committee must have a chairperson and a treasurer, who may not be the same person. Each candidate and each authorized political committee must file reports of receipts and expenditures, if the amount received or expended or liabilities incurred exceeds $250. Otherwise, the candidate or the treasurer of the authorized political committee may file the statement in lieu of the reports.
It is important to note that candidates are required to file a campaign finance report/statement that is separate from the report/statement filed by their authorized political committee. And, depending on the office, candidates may be required to file with Chester County Voter Services or with the Department of State, or both.
Write-In candidates are responsible for filing campaign finance per the reporting dates calendar once they have spent or received a cumulative $250. For additional information regarding running as a Write-in Candidate please reference the Tips for a Successful Write-In Campaign found in our Candidate’s Corner or contact our office at [email protected]
Candidates who file with the State are expected to send copies of their reports to Chester County as well.
Campaign Finance Forms
- Campaign Finance Report (DSEB-502)
- (Large file size PDF. This will take a few moments to download) This form is intended for the use of candidates, political committees and contributing lobbyists that are required to disclose contributions and expenditures. (further instructions available with form)
- Campaign Finance Statement (DSEB-503)
- You may file this statement in lieu of a full report when the amount of contributions (including in-kind contributions) received, the amount of money expended, and the liabilities incurred each did not exceed $250.00 during the reporting period. (further instructions available with form)
- Political Committee Registration Statement (DSEB-500)
- Use this form to register a new political committee. You may also use it to amend the original registration when the committee appoints a new chairperson or treasurer, or changes any other required information.
- Completed Sample Registration
- Authorization for a Political Committee to Receive Funds on Behalf of a Candidate (DSEB-501)
- The Pennsylvania Election Code provides that no treasurer of a political committee shall receive any money on behalf of a candidate until such political committee has been authorized in writing by the candidate on a form designed by the Secretary of the Commonwealth. (further instructions available with form)
- Statement of Organization - Independent Expenditure Committee (DSEB-506)
- This form is to be completed by Independent Expenditure Committees only.
- Independent Expenditure Reporting Form (DSEB-505)
- If you make an Independent Expenditure (an expenditure not in cooperation or consultation with any candidate or candidate's political committee) to influence the outcome of the election of a candidate or ballot question, you must file this report if the expenditure exceeds $100 in a calendar year. (further instructions available with form.
Please send the completed statement(s) along with the online cover sheet, Expense Report, Finance Statement or Independent Expenditure Report
- Unsworn Statement for Campaign Finance Reports (DSEB – 502R)
- Unsworn Statement for Campaign Finance Statements (DSEB – 503S)
- Unsworn Statement for Independent Expenditure Reports (DSEB-505I)
- Summary of Act 2020-15 Unsworn Declarations for Campaign Finance