Firearms Licensing Division
Firearms License Application
Pennsylvania Law requires the Sheriff of Chester County to process all Applications for License to Carry Firearms.
Licenses are issued to all those who qualify, based on a background investigation done by the Sheriff’s Office through the Pennsylvania Instant Check system (PIC). Once an application for license to carry is filed, the Sheriff has 45 days in which to complete the investigation and notify the applicant. The license is valid for 5 years. The Sheriff has the ability to revoke the license at any time for good cause.
Instructions for License to Carry
License to carry a firearm will be issued to Chester County residents only.
-visit Application Renewal Page
- Applicants for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) must apply in person in the Sheriff’s Office. Applications are taken Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and reside in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- Applicants must submit a signed and dated Pennsylvania LTCF application.
- As proof of identification, applicants must present a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License or identification card issued by the PA Department of Transportation reflecting their current address. Post office box addresses are not acceptable.
- The address on the LTCF application must match the address on the applicant’s proof of identification.
- Foreign-born applicants who are US citizens must present their non-expired US Passport, Certificate of Citizenship, or Naturalization Certificate.
- Foreign-born applicants who are not US citizens must provide proof of their legal residency status.
- The state mandated fee for a License to Carry Firearms is $20. Payment must be made at the time of application. Acceptable forms of payment: cash, check, money order. Checks and money orders made payable to "Sheriff of Chester County". Credit and debit cards are not accepted.
- Personal checks returned for insufficient funds will result in denial of the LTCF application and will incur a fee chargeable to the applicant.
- The Sheriff’s Office has 45 days after an application is received to issue or deny issuing a LTCF.