Tax Claim Bureau

June 26 Green Phase Opening

Chester County is currently in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s green phase as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Due to the restrictions being upheld during the green phase, Chester County Government and Courts are operating on limited services with many of our staff continuing to provide services and programs while working from home

The Tax Claim Bureau main listed number (610-344-6360) was re-activated on June 5. We ask that you continue to refrain from in-person delinquent tax lien payments and contact us by telephone to discuss possible payment arrangements.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. Please continue to follow all CDC and PA Department of Health guidelines to help control the spread of COVID-19 during the green phase. A reminder of the guidelines to be followed during the green phase are found here:


The Chester County Tax Claim Bureau is responsible for the collection of delinquent real estate taxes on behalf of the County, 73 municipalities and 14 school districts within Chester County. The Bureau operates under the Pennsylvania Real Estate Tax Sale Law Act 542 of 1947.
The Tax Claim Bureau provides statutorily mandated notices to owners and administers upset tax sales, judicial sales, repository of unsold properties and maintains bankruptcy status. The Bureau also provides tax certifications regarding paid and unpaid taxes upon request. 

All real estate taxes are considered delinquent if not paid by December 31st of the current year. Any unpaid taxes are returned to the Tax Claim Bureau during the month of January. Interest accrues at the rate of 3/4 of 1% per month or 9% per annum. The Tax Claim Bureau conducts several sales each year. The Upset Tax Sale is held in September, the Continued Upset Sale is held in December and more than one Judicial Sale may be held during the year. 

The County Of Chester Tax Claim Bureau makes no representations or warranties on any properties sold during tax sales. The Bureau also does not give legal advice concerning tax issues.