Visiting the Archives
Hours of Operation:
- 9am-12pm AND 1pm-4pm (by appointment only)
- Closed for county holidays
Directions and ParkingGovernment Services Center
West Chester, PA 19380
Parking is free.
- All visitors are required to complete a temperature reading and a brief questionnaire before entering the county’s Government Services Center. Security will permit or deny entry to the building based on these results.
- All visitors are required to wear a mask inside the Government Services Center including the archives reading room. There are no exceptions.
- All visitors are required to maintain the provisions of social distancing and approximately six feet of separation between all persons within the county building. The archives reading room has been rearranged to respect such protocols.
- All visitors are required to go through security to enter the Government Services Center. Please use common sense and leave commonly flagged (pocketknives, etc.) items at home.
- The only items permitted in the reading room are research notes, pencils, laptop computers/tablets, and non-flash cameras. All other personal belongings (pens, markers, coats, purses, briefcases, etc) must be stored in the lockers provided. Staff reserve the right to inspect all articles used in the reading room. Cellphones are permitted as long as they are turned off or placed on vibrate.
- Researchers may save digital record images from microfilm and research room computers. To take advantage of this option, researchers must bring in a new, unopened USB/Flash drive; no exceptions. Researchers will be charged a nominal daily use fee which will allow them to save an unlimited number of images. This fee will help us continue our mission to create, maintain and provide digital access to the historic records of Chester County.
- Non-flash photography of originals is permitted only when the records are not available in another format (e.g. microfilm, scanned images, etc.).
- Food, beverage, chewing gum, and tobacco are prohibited.
- All materials must be handled with care. Marks may be neither added nor erased; tracing and rubbing are prohibited. Researchers must comply with staff direction regarding proper handling of materials.
- All photocopying of original materials is to be done by staff. Requests must be made by 3:45. Self service microfilm reader printers and computer stations are provided for microfilmed and scanned records.
- Researchers are responsible for returning all materials to staff. No materials may leave the reading room, nor be transferred to another researcher.