- Right to Know Request
Right to Know Request
Many commonly requested records are publicly available by contacting the County departments directly. Please see a list of commonly requested records below and which County departments or other agencies you can contact to request these records.
|Type of Record||Department or Agency|
|Assessment Data||Assessment Data Report Request|
|Background Checks||Pennsylvania State Police|
|Birth Certificates/Death Certificates||Pennsylvania Department of Health|
|Criminal Records, Criminal Court Documents||Clerk of Courts Office - 610-344-4283 or [email protected]|
|Criminal and Appellate Docket Sheets||Pennyslvania Unified Judicial System Web Portal|
|Civil Court Documents||Prothonotary's Office - 610-344-4140 or [email protected]|
|Court Transcripts||Court Reporters|
|Deeds||Recorder of Deeds - 610-344-6330 or [email protected]|
|Divorce Records||Prothonotary's Office - 610-344-4140 or [email protected]|
|Environmental Assessments||Request to Examine Records (Environmental Assessments)|
|Marriage Records||Register of Wills Office - 610-344-6335 or [email protected]|
|Oaths of Office for Elected Officials||Prothonotary's Office - 610-344-4140 or [email protected]|
|Restaurant Inspection Reports||Health Department|
|Wills||Register of Wills Office - 610-344-6335 or [email protected]|
|Zoning Records, Building Permits, Certificates of Occupancy, etc.||Municipality where property is located.|
Submit a Request for Records
- Submit a Right-to-Know request electronically
- Submit a Right-to-Know request in person at our offices at 313 W Market Street, Suite 6702, West Chester
- Submit a Right-to-Know request via post mail to: Office of the Solicitor, County of Chester, Ref: Open Records Request, 313 West Market Street, Suite 6702 West Chester, PA 19380
- Requests can also be faxed to 610-344-5471
A fee is charged for all copies. Copies will not be provided until the fee has been paid. In a few instances (such as a request for a deed), the fees will be determined by a statute other than the Open Records Law.
- Photocopies of standard-sized records (8 ½ x 11 or 8 ½ x 14):
- one-sided copies, 25 cents per page
- two-sided copies, 25 cents per side
- Certification of a record: $1 per record
- Blueprints, maps and other specialized documents: County cost of reproduction, depending on size
- Postage fees:County cost of mailing
- Electronic data: Rates are set by the County with approval of the State Open Records Office.
The County does not charge for time spent redacting or blacking out nonpublic information in a public document, but the County will charge for making all copies needed to produce redacted material for viewing by the requester.
You will receive a response within five business days of the Open Records Office’s receipt of your request.
- You will be informed as to how and when you may inspect or obtain copies of the records you requested; or
- when appropriate, of any additional time that will be needed for legal review of your request or for the gathering or duplicating of the requested records; or
- You will be informed, when appropriate, that some or all of the requested records are not subject to production under the Open Records Law.
If you disagree with a determination of the Open Records Office, you may file an appeal to the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records. Visit the PA Office of Open Records website for guidelines and forms for appeals.