All dogs three months of age and older living in Pennsylvania must be licensed by January 1 of each year. Violators will be cited up to $500 per violation, plus court costs. There are two types of licenses: an annual license and a lifetime license.
- Purchase an annual dog license online with a credit/debit card or echeck. After completion of payment, a proof of license can be printed and the license and tag will be mailed to you the following business day.
- Print the annual dog license application and mail in along with payment. Mail payment to:
Chester County Treasurer's Office
Attn: Dog License
313 West Market St. Suite 3202
West Chester, PA 19380
- Male/Female $8.70
Annual Fees - Persons with Disability and Senior Citizens
- Male/Female $6.70
To qualify for a disability license, please provide a copy of your handicap placard or equivalent proof of disability.
To qualify for a senior license, you must be 65 years or older and provide proof of age.
Lifetime Dog License
- A lifetime license is a one time purchase for any dog with a microchip.
- Print and complete Lifetime dog license application and Permanent ID Verification form. Mail in with payment.
- Either the veterinarian or SPCA can scan or insert a microchip. They will complete the lower portion of the Verification form.
- Be sure the veterinarian includes their BV license number. The SPCA has a kennel license number.
- The microchip number is then written on top of the verification form.
Lifetime License Fees
- Male/Female $52.70
Lifetime Fees - Persons with Disability and Senior Citizens
- Male/Female $36.70
*To qualify for a disability license, please provide a copy of your handicap placard or equivalent proof of disability.
*To qualify for a senior license, you must be 65 years or older and provide proof of age.
For purchases of any license by check when the County is the payee, make checks payable to "Chester County Treasurer".
A duplicate tag can be obtained by written request, accompanied by a fee of $1.70 made payable to Chester County Treasurer. Please include a copy of the license, or as much information from the original application. Tags can be obtained immediately at our office.
If you need a copy of the license, please call our office or email.
To transfer a lifetime or annual dog license, send the license number and your personal information to the county that the license was issued. List the new county and address in which the dog will be licensed. The information will then be forwarded to the new treasurer for issuance. The cost of this transaction is $1 payable to the treasurer of each county. Please make a check out to each county treasurer. A transfer can only be made to counties that use the PA Dog License System. Please check the drop-down box for participating counties.
For a Change of Address or Change of Owner please use: This Form
For a New County Dog Transfer Please use: This Form
We cannot complete a change of ownership or a transfer of a license unless we have written permission with a signature from the owner of the current license.