Meet the District Attorney
Tom Hogan is the Chester County District Attorney. Elected in 2011, Mr. Hogan is the chief law enforcement officer in Chester County. He is responsible for coordinating the investigation and prosecution of all crimes in Chester County and keeping over 500,000 Chester County residents safe.
With Mr. Hogan as District Attorney, the Chester County District Attorney’s Office (the “DAO”) has become one of the pre-eminent prosecution offices in the nation. The DAO has led the fight against opioids and heroin, establishing a multi-agency task force to target dealers and seek treatment for those suffering from addiction. The DAO has doubled its resources to address child abuse, adding experienced prosecutors and detectives, and using the best investigative techniques to protect vulnerable children from predators. The DAO’s recent successful prosecutions include the conviction of three adults responsible for the torture and death of a three year old child, the conviction of a man who assaulted a disabled victim, and the conviction on corruption charges of two racist high-ranking school administrators. The DAO also has helped to establish best practices for law enforcement across the nation in areas as diverse as active shooter responses, officer-involved shooting investigations, eyewitness identifications, and body cameras for police.
The DAO has recruited an outstanding group of prosecutors and detectives who are on the front line of protecting Chester County. The DAO also has become a cooperative hub for law enforcement from across the region, Commonwealth, and United States. As a result of the work of the DAO and our outstanding police departments, Chester County continues to have the lowest crime rate in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Mr. Hogan grew up in Green Bay, Wisconsin in a family of 6 children. He worked his way through college and law school. He graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Dartmouth College in 1989. He was awarded his Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1992, where he served as Chief Honor Counsel to the entire university.
After earning his law degree, Mr. Hogan began his career with Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, the largest law firm in Philadelphia and one of the largest firms in the nation. He managed complex national litigation, as well as handling sophisticated corporate internal investigations. After 6 years, Mr. Hogan left private practice to follow his passion -- prosecuting criminals and keeping our families safe.
In 1998, Mr. Hogan joined the Chester County District Attorney’s office. He quickly became one of the most aggressive and dynamic prosecutors in Chester County, trying the toughest cases against the most dangerous criminals.
Mr. Hogan’s duties in the courtroom included working as the District Attorney’s representative for Drug Court, a diversionary program that allows drug offenders to keep their criminal record clean if they completed a rigorous program to beat drug addiction.
As an Assistant District Attorney, Mr. Hogan took the time to establish lasting relationships with our local police, and worked to experience firsthand the pressure and stress of real police work. He went on dawn search warrants at the apartments of drug dealers, patrolled with the Coatesville Police Department, accompanied the police on DUI stops, worked with the police in firearms and tactical training, and graduated from the Top Gun drug training school.
Mr. Hogan’s hard work in the District Attorney’s Office did not go unnoticed. He was the first prosecutor from Chester County selected to serve as a federal prosecutor for the United States Department of Justice. Shortly after the terrorist attacks on 9/11, Mr. Hogan was elevated to the position of Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
As an Assistant United States Attorney, Mr. Hogan prosecuted the highest level of criminal cases in the nation. He successfully prosecuted large-scale drug organizations, terrorist cells, corrupt politicians, violent criminals, and white collar fraud schemes. But Mr. Hogan never forgot the importance of Chester County. Working together with federal agents and with Chester County police officers, he created a Chester County Task Force to bring federal cases against the most violent and dangerous criminals in Chester County.
Mr. Hogan received numerous awards from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and local police departments for his work as a federal prosecutor. He also was selected by the Department of Justice to serve as a trial advocacy instructor for federal prosecutors across the United States.
Between his time as a federal prosecutor and his election as District Attorney, Mr. Hogan was a partner with the law firm Lamb McErlane PC in West Chester. There, he represented municipalities, schools, local and national businesses, and individuals. He also handled complex financial litigation matters.
District Attorney's Office
As District Attorney, Mr. Hogan has combined his experience as a federal prosecutor, County prosecutor, and in the private sector to lead the Chester County District Attorney’s Office to the cutting edge of law enforcement. The Chester County law enforcement team and Mr. Hogan have been responsible for the following programs and achievements:
- Initiated and maintained an Opioid/Heroin Task Force to address this national epidemic with a multi-agency approach
- Created an intensive trial advocacy training program for Chester County prosecutors
- Brought modern grand jury investigative techniques to Chester County, improving the depth of investigations
- Established standardized homicide investigation protocols and child abuse investigation protocols for all of Chester County
- Initiated a District Attorney’s Drug Unit to coordinate the investigation and prosecution of drug trafficking across the region
- Brought prescription drug disposal boxes to Chester County, helping to protect our children and our environment
- Worked with Chester County legislators to create tough and common sense new strangulation legislation, anti-gang legislation, enhanced arson penalties, and a Good Samaritan law for people reporting drug overdoses
- Worked with the Chester County Commissioners to expand the capabilities of the Child Abuse Unit and Computer Forensics Unit for the Chester County Detectives
- Established a Critical Incident Response Team to address major emergencies, such as active shooters
- Chair of the Intelligence Committee for the United States Department of Justice’s regional High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area ("HIDTA") strike force
- Received HIDTA’s top award for national drug investigations for Operation Telaraña, which targeted a drug cartel operating in Southern Chester County
- Chair of HIDTA Executive Board
- Executive Board of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association ("PDAA")
- Chair of PDAA Best Practices Committee, establishing prosecution standards across Pennsylvania
- National District Attorneys Association, State Director
- Received awards for his work in the areas of homicides, domestic violence, and drug prosecutions
- Named the Law Enforcement Person of the Year by the Police Chiefs Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania
Mr. Hogan is married with 2 children. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the YMCA of Greater Brandywine, the parent organization for all of the YMCA facilities in Chester County. He previously served on the Board of Directors of the Chester County Bar Association and People's Light & Theatre. Dedicated to his community, Mr. Hogan also serves as a lector at his church, and proudly supports the preservation of open space and historical properties in Chester County.