* The dates provided above represent recording dates. During the 18th and 19th century it was not uncommon for deeds to be recorded years, if not decades after the original transaction took place.
Common Instruments Recorded
The most common instruments recorded are:
- Deeds - Contract in which 1 party conveys land to another.
- Mortgages - A conditional conveyance of land, designed as a security for the payment of money to another.
- Lease/Release - A feudal form of land conveyance.
- Grants - A grant of land from the proprietary government to another. Most grants for Chester County land are recorded at the Pennsylvania State Archives.
- Patents - A deed that completed the transfer of land from the proprietary government to another. Most patents for Chester County land are recorded at the Pennsylvania State Archives.
- Sheriff's Deeds - Contract in which the sheriff, as a result of a court order, conveys land to another.
- Release - The relinquishment of a right or interest in a property to another. Typically the heirs of the original property owner.